About This Blog

For the next 365 days, I am focusing on KARMA as my resolution to 2010. I'm open for stories, ideas and kismet. EMAIL ME.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Stitches

I found a copy of David Small's memoir graphic novel at a local library, and must admit it is one of the more profound, moving, and awe-inspiring pieces I've read (looked at) in a long time. The story is about his father, a doctor, and the decision to use radiation to assist his asthma. This gave him cancer which caused him to lose his speaking abilities, but also added to a tense household with a mother who didn't express maternal love for her son and his revelations of why she was a troubled soul.

The artwork of David Small was brilliant and thought-provoking, creating many images that acted as metaphors for a young, troubled boy. The artwork, of course, was the way the young boy survived. He drew his life and made meaning from artistic expression.

I highly recommend this book to everyone, simply because it is demonstrative of how one can express their world in ways that transcend text. Karma pays off for those who follow their passions.

No comments:

Post a Comment