About This Blog

For the next 365 days, I am focusing on KARMA as my resolution to 2010. I'm open for stories, ideas and kismet. EMAIL ME.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

I'm not Sikh, I'm just learning.


Two summers ago, I taught in a program at LeMoyne College and met a young man from India. This year, he'll be a senior and he contacted me to read a few of his college essays he's prepared for the upcoming year. His goal is to major in mathematics, environmental science, and/or film. He will be the first in his family to go to college and, if luck has it, he should go on full scholarship. He's a bright kid and I was honored by the karma of meeting up with him again.

Sanjeev is Sikh. No, he's not ill, but a disciple of the religion's dogma. A unique feature of the religion is a non-anthropomorphic concept of God (meaning he doesn't come in the shape and form of mankind). Instead, God in the Universe, itself. Sanjeev explains it as a combination of Hinduism, Islam, and Buddhism.

It's always wonderful to be back in contact with someone you once taught to and to be able to help them move to the next step of their life. Each step is more complicated, of course, but they are easier when others are around.

No comments:

Post a Comment